My story begins in October 2007, I had a tragic event occur in my life. My parents disowned me because of my interracial relationship with my now husband Keith Hughes. My parents had never met him or even knew his name. The fact that I was so disposable to the two people I love the most, destroyed me. Not knowing how to deal with this heartbreak, I began to consume myself with work to ignore the thoughts and began to feed my emotions with food. In December of 2011, I looked in the mirror and did not recognize the woman starting back at me. I weighed in at over 300 pounds! I was severely depressed, frustrated, stressed, unhealthy, filled with sadness, pain, felt completely defeated, hopeless and had a very bad relationship with food.
I knew something needed to change, and I needed to be that change!
In January of 2012, I embarked on a journey to lose 100 pounds in one year and regain my life back. My journey wasn’t always easy as I was faced with many challenges and obstacles in my path. My biggest challenge was my career! I was a corporate professional working as a Senior Software Consultant and my career was extremely demanding, stressful and required me to travel out of state on a weekly basis. I traveled 4-5 days per week throughout the United States and sometimes internationally. I was living out of a suitcase, in and out of hotels and airports, working 12-15 hour days which left me with limited time to focus on myself, my health, my fitness, family and friends.
I am so GRATEFUL that I was introduced to Beachbody! Their programs were perfect, easy to incorporate into my busy schedule, simple to follow and I could do them anywhere! They gave me the structure and knowledge I needed to transform my health and body.
I literally transformed my body in a hotel room and learned how to build a healthy lifestyle while traveling!
Today, I am proud to say that I have lost over 140 pounds using Beachbody products and have transformed my whole life. Most importantly, I love the woman that I have become in this journey! In 2015, I was chosen and recognized on stage as one of the top 8 finalists of the Beachbody Grand Prize Challenge for best transformation of the year.
Needless to say, I am firm believer in Beachbody products and naturally I wanted learn more about the company and become more involved so I joined the Company as an Independent Beachbody Coach so that I could continue to learn and grow in my own journey but more so help other people reach their health and fitness goals. It has been the most rewarding and purpose filled career choice I have ever made. Since then, I have decided to continue my education and I am currently pursuing my Health Coach Certification with the Institute of Integrative Nutrition and have co-founded Fithughes.com
In this episode, Giovanna Capozza interviews Diane Hughes, a holistic health and fitness coach with Beachbody and co-founder of Fithughes.com. She lost 140 pounds in her own journey and was selected as one of the top 8 finalists of the Beachbody Grand Prize Challenge for Best Transformation of the Year, in 2015. Today, Diane and her husband have dedicated themselves to working with individuals struggling with weight loss. This powerhouse couple helps them reach their goals and create an improved lifestyle filled with happiness, health, fitness and balance. Tune in as Diane shares her weight loss story, how forgiveness played a part in her journey, and the importance of making YOURSELF a priority.
- Giovanna introduces Diane Hughes
- Giovanna met Diane and her husband, in Mexico, at a party
- In 2007, Diane experienced a tragic event in her life:
- Her parents disowned her
- She never had something so traumatic happen to her like that
- She dove into her work and fed her emotions with food
- It was not until Dec. 2011 that she looked into the mirror
- Looking at her reflection in the mirror was the biggest “Ah-ha moment” for Diane because she didn’t recognize herself
- She was too consumed with life and work that she ignored herself
- Food was a way to numb out
- Diane remembers being frustrated and severely depressed
- Diane believed she needed to start with herself
- She was the only one that could change the direction of her life
- Her turning point was on New Year’s Eve
- She made a grand announcement at her party about her wanting to lose the weight
- She was surprised that people at the party didn’t believe she could do it
- For Diane, that moment sparked a flame to prove that change IS possible
- Diane basically lived in a hotel room because of her job
- She didn’t have time for the gym nor did she have a kitchen to cook in
- At 300 lbs, she couldn’t do much
- She joined a cleanse group on Facebook
- Diane sent a message to a coach she’d been seeing online
- The coach replied to her and she led Diane to Beachbody, the leading provider for in-home, health and fitness solutions
- “We find all of the reasons why we can’t do something”
- Prior to gaining weight, Diane loved physical fitness
- The programs Diane purchased were the super difficult ones, forgetting she was 300 lbs
- She did the program and she couldn’t even do 15 minutes of it
- Her coach changed her program to one she could do
- The programs came with a nutrition guide that Diane used for clean eating
- 100 lbs to lose was too overwhelming
- The journey was difficult – there were mental challenges and limiting beliefs
- People give up on resolutions because they think of the long journey ahead VS what they’ve already done
- It was not just a new year’s resolution, it was Diane’s promise to herself
- Women tend to forget to make themselves a priority
- Giovanna started her weightloss journey one day at a time
- Diane and her husband struggled with their marriage
- She was retracting herself from everybody
- Diane is thankful to her husband for being there for her during the tough times
- She realized he was the rock in her journey
- She wanted to be the wife her husband deserved
- As she lost weight, Diane gained confidence
- Diane reached her goal of losing 100 lbs, but she was still unhappy
- The 2nd phase of her journey, was a journey of forgiveness
- She has not only forgiven her parents, but herself, too
- The moment she learned to forgive, Diane lost another 35 lbs
- Forgiveness was the harder part, not the weight loss
- Her parents completely cut ties with Diane after disowning her
- Connect with Diane on FitHughes.com, Facebook, and Instagram
- Diane’s husband is a professional chef
- Diane joined Beachbody as a fitness coach
- Through her journey, she inspired her husband to join Beachbody, too
- Giovanna closes the podcast
3 Key Points:
- People can be consumed by everything that happens in life; they can tend to forget who they really are.
- Always make conscious decisions and try to make YOURSELF a priority.
- It’s normal to feel pain and struggle; but at some point, you’ll need to release yourself from the burdens you keep inside.
- Beachbody – A leading provider for in-home health and fitness solution